Ask / Submit

Revision history [back]

click to hide/show revision 1
initial version

posted 2015-10-01 21:48:52 +0300

Changing the paths on the Jolla is not possible, is my experience. I am using both CalDAV and CardDAV with my own Baïkal server, and I have decided to set up two accounts on the Jolla: one for CalDAV and one for CardDAV.

My own server running Baïkal can be reached on:

CalDAV: https://my.server.com:8443/baikal/html/cal.php/calendars/erwin/default/

CardDAV: https://my.server.com:9999/baikal/html/card.php/addressbooks/erwin/default/

The server paths are to some extent configurable as part of Baïkal setup. With more advanced web server settings, the paths are of course fully configurable.

On the Jolla, the path should be entered in two fields, server name and relative path name. This is how I have done it, but I expect that some other approaches are also possible:

Server name: https://my.server.com:8443/

Path name for CalDAV: /baikal/html/cal.php/calendars/erwin/default/

Path name for CardDAV: /baikal/html/card.php/addressbooks/erwin/default/

Note the usage of slashes before and after the path name. It seems like the Jolla can deal with a server name ending with a slash and the path name starting. Again: I believe some small variations will also work.

After setting up my own Baïkal server it has worked flawlessly. Faster that with Google which I used previously.

I have configured a laptop (Evolution) to sync with the Baïkal server (CalDAV and CardDAV) and that is why I know the Baïkal server is working well.

Configuration of the accounts on the Jolla has caused me headaches, first of all because the entry screens are not really user friendly. They do not allow many corrections after first entering and validating the address data. That is why I have started to use two separate accounts (one for CalDAV and one for CardDAV, but pointing to the same Baïkal server).

Then, the sync-process on the Jolla is not reliable. Only after some time one notices that the CalDAV or CardDAV account has been set up correctly. Manual sync does not seem to work (looking at the access logs on the Baïkal server).

Finally, the calendar app on the Jolla is horrible in combination with CalDAV. After correctly setting up of the CalDAV account, I do not see the specific calendar listed under "manage calendars". With some serious tweaks in developer mode (see other postings), I managed to make it work again. But, after a few weeks, suddenly the sync process does not work anymore, the Baïkal calendar has disappeared from "manage calendars" and my existing calendar entries have become orphans.

I have invested time in setting up a reliable Baïkal server to get rid of all trouble I had before. Because of Evolution, I am pretty confident it is working correctly. That makes painfully clear that the cause of all these problems with CalDAV and CardDAV are in Sailfish / Jolla.

Changing the paths on the Jolla is not possible, is my experience. I am using both CalDAV and CardDAV with my own Baïkal server, and I have decided to set up two accounts on the Jolla: one for CalDAV and one for CardDAV.

My own server running Baïkal can be reached on:

CalDAV: https://my.server.com:8443/baikal/html/cal.php/calendars/erwin/default/https://my.server.com:9999/baikal/html/cal.php/calendars/erwin/default/

CardDAV: https://my.server.com:9999/baikal/html/card.php/addressbooks/erwin/default/

The server paths are to some extent configurable as part of Baïkal setup. With more advanced web server settings, the paths are of course fully configurable.

On the Jolla, the path should be entered in two fields, server name and relative path name. This is how I have done it, but I expect that some other approaches are also possible:

Server name: https://my.server.com:8443/ https://my.server.com:9999/

Path name for CalDAV: /baikal/html/cal.php/calendars/erwin/default/

Path name for CardDAV: /baikal/html/card.php/addressbooks/erwin/default/

Note the usage of slashes before and after the path name. It seems like the Jolla can deal with a server name ending with a slash and the path name starting. Again: I believe some small variations will also work.

After setting up my own Baïkal server it has worked flawlessly. Faster that with Google which I used previously.

I have configured a laptop (Evolution) to sync with the Baïkal server (CalDAV and CardDAV) and that is why I know the Baïkal server is working well.

Configuration of the accounts on the Jolla has caused me headaches, first of all because the entry screens are not really user friendly. They do not allow many corrections after first entering and validating the address data. That is why I have started to use two separate accounts (one for CalDAV and one for CardDAV, but pointing to the same Baïkal server).

Then, the sync-process on the Jolla is not reliable. Only after some time one notices that the CalDAV or CardDAV account has been set up correctly. Manual sync does not seem to work (looking at the access logs on the Baïkal server).

Finally, the calendar app on the Jolla is horrible in combination with CalDAV. After correctly setting up of the CalDAV account, I do not see the specific calendar listed under "manage calendars". With some serious tweaks in developer mode (see other postings), I managed to make it work again. But, after a few weeks, suddenly the sync process does not work anymore, the Baïkal calendar has disappeared from "manage calendars" and my existing calendar entries have become orphans.

I have invested time in setting up a reliable Baïkal server to get rid of all trouble I had before. Because of Evolution, I am pretty confident it is working correctly. That makes painfully clear that the cause of all these problems with CalDAV and CardDAV are in Sailfish / Jolla.