It took a long time before we delivered the previous update (2.0.2). Our goal now is to start providing updates in shorter intervals.
This update, 2.0.4 alias Fiskarsinjoki, introduces quite a few new features and bug fixes. One of the key new features is the option to save pictures and videos directly from the camera to the memory card. This helps to keep the Phone Memory from getting cluttered and in good shape. Another long-awaited new feature being introduced is conference calling. You can now rotate the device to landscape in Calculator to access the new scientific mode with support for high-precision, brackets and trigonometric and exponential operations. And, you can use Gallery edit options to adjust brightness and contrast of photos. You can also launch the synchronization of Calendar in the app itself, and share files from the File manager of Storage page (in Settings). Last but not least, we have upgraded the Browser engine.
Thank you for your valuable feedback!
- Upgrade version history
- Release Highlights
- 3rd party apps
- Developer mode
- Home and Lock screen
- Input and keyboard
- Power management
- Vulnerabilities fixed:
- Sharing and Transfer
- Startup & Shutdown
- Updating your device
- Known issues
Upgrade version history
- 2016-10-05: 188.8.131.52 Early access release
- 2016-10-19: 184.108.40.206 Early access release #2. Fixed memory leaks in Tracker and call creation with Bluetooth car kit.
- 2016-10-24: 220.127.116.11 Roll out to Jolla 1, Jolla C and Jolla Tablet.
This list contains examples of new features (and some bug fixes) added to SailfishOS since the 2.0.2 release.
3rd party apps
- HERE WeGo app (formerly known as Here maps app) updated in Jolla Store.
- Credentials of Jolla account dropped from backup data because the access token is used to identify the device in Jolla Store backend. Restoring the backup to different devices would then cause confusion.
- [Aqua Fish] Origami, Party, Sailing and Work included in the preloaded customer content.
- Bluetooth headset works now during Skype calls (https://together.jolla.com/question/137336/lte-with-jolla-c/ ).
- [JollaC] Keyboard click volume reduction.
- We have made the utility more robust. It should work reliably with different SD cards now, and allow spaces in filenames.
- Reliability of Bluetooth audio operations with car audio systems improved.
- Browser engine updated to Gecko 38, a major leap in terms of Browser app.
- Youtube full screen mode works correctly now.
- Small corrections to rendering web page content.
- Added possibility to trigger synchronization manually from calendar pull menu.
- A line showing current time added to day view.
- Remorse timer added to events opened from alarm dialog.
- Fixed issues of calendar widget in events view not showing.
- Turn device to landscape in Calculator app to access the new scientific mode with support for high-precision, brackets and operations like sin, cos, tan, log, !, square and power.
- Make picture names more unique by adding also time to the filename, so that pictures from different devices would not clash when uploading to a cloud service.
- Re-opening Camera starts it in viewfinder mode.
- Camera application in the background goes back to viewfinder mode after some time.
- Saving creation time and date to EXIF data of photos fixed (https://together.jolla.com/question/110063/creation-date-not-saved-in-photo-exif-metadata-11928/ ).
- Settings overlay doesn't hide when clicking inside button column.
- Developer mode now includes libraries needed to debug and profile C++ and QML application code with Sailfish SDK.
- Stability fixes.
- Document can be zoomed more due to partial rendering capability - contributed by Damien Caliste among bug fixes.
- More information about attachments shown, for instance to avoid downloading big ones over slow connections.
- Attachments show mime-specific icon.
- Document picker is no longer limited to documents in Documents folder, but e.g. also shows documents downloaded with Browser to Downloads folder.
- Fix to ensure successfully entering the sleep mode between sync sessions.
- Gallery editing options allow adjusting brightness and contrast of the photo.
- Gallery editing now supports multiple picture formats (e.g. PNG, BMP, etc.) and not only JPG.
Home and Lock screen
- Notification highlight made work correctly.
- Ensure that Power key locks the screen also when applied right after a phone call.
Input and keyboard
- Usability improvements and some other fixes to Kazakh, Czech, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, French and Danish keyboards.
- Issue with paste button popup on split keyboard fixed.
- Support for Mozilla Location Services finalised
- [Aqua Fish, Jolla C] FM radio now supports automatic channel scan.
- [Aqua Fish, Jolla C] Speaker mode for FM radio.
- Indexing of FLAC audio files fixed ( https://together.jolla.com/question/127355/2017-flac-indexing-broken/ ).
- Adjusted UI style.
- Improvements to opening various MMS attachments.
- Notes now returns to the text view correctly after changing text color of a new note.
- Support for conference calls added.
- Issue of battery draining in flight mode fixed ( https://together.jolla.com/question/141303/flight-mode-problem-with-both-jolla-1-and-jolla-c/ ).
- Setting all Silica options correctly while changing emulator mode.
- Added page to Settings to show the system certificates.
- Mobile electronic signature (mobile certificate) fixed (https://together.jolla.com/question/140298/mobile-electronic-signature-on-aurajoki-20248/).
- Use nonprivileged filesystem operations - when performing actions in the file manager, they are performed as the plain nemo user without extra privileges, to prevent accidental deletions or overwrites.
- [Jolla C, Aqua Fish] CVE-2015-1196, CVE-2014-9637, CVE-2015-1396, CVE-2015-1395 (patch, iproute).
- [Jolla C, Aqua Fish] CVE-2013-7421, CVE-2014-4171, CVE-2014-5206, CVE-2014-5207, CVE-2014-7825, CVE-2014-7826, CVE-2014-7970, CVE-2014-7975, CVE-2014-8086, CVE-2014-8160, CVE-2014-8559, CVE-2014-9529, CVE-2014-9644, CVE-2016-2059, CVE-2016-2061, CVE-2016-2062, CVE-2016-2064, CVE-2016-2065, CVE-2016-2066, CVE-2016-2067, CVE-2016-2068 (kernel).
- Improvements to Storage settings:
- Allow opening respective app for different disk usage categories: launch Store to uninstall apps, Gallery to delete photos or videos, Media app to delete music, Documents to delete documents, open Downloads folder to remove downloads, and so on.
- Android and Harbour disk usage categories are no longer counted twice in Storage settings figures.
- File manager can be opened already during disk usage calculations.
- Share files from file manager.
Sharing and Transfer
- Allow items in the Transfers list to be individually removed.
- Fix for SIM card names in PIN dialog (dual-SIM device).
- Fix for PIN query in case of dual-SIM device.
- Support (I/O level) for writing to SIM card added.
- Call Forwarding status flag(s) can be written to SIM card ( https://together.jolla.com/question/46929/displaying-the-call-forwardings/ ).
Startup & Shutdown
- Issue with Startup Wizard language selection not becoming active before second boot fixed.
- [Aqua Fish] Network settings of Jio (India) fixed (https://together.jolla.com/question/143534/india-does-intex-aqua-fish-support-jio-lte-network/).
For detailed changelog, see https://together.jolla.com/question/146274/changelog-204fiskarsinjoki/
Updating your device
Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed in to your Jolla account. If your Jolla account is registered for Early Access releases you should receive an OS update notification when an update is available. If you have decided not to take the Early Access registration then you will get the OS update typically one week later.
We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space to the internal storage of your device before starting the update. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or to your PC or cloud service). After the upgrade turn on the option to save pictures and videos directly from the camera to the memory card (Settings > Apps > Camera). This is important particularly in case of "Jolla 1" devices (product name "Jolla" in Settings > About product).
This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:
- If you use Phonehook from OpenRepos, uninstall it before upgrading.
- If you use oFono from OpenRepos, revert to the official oFono before upgrading (or else you may face problems with LTE etc.).
- If you use Patchmanager, revert all applied patches before upgrading.
Take a backup of your data before attempting to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or to some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. Device screen may blank out during the update process; you may waken the display by a short press on the power key to monitor the progress.
For detailed instructions on updating software, visit Zendesk [ https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201836347 ].
- Editing a picture (in Gallery) of aspect ratio 4:3 on Jolla1 tends to crash the app. Please use ratio 16:9 for now (change in Settings > Apps > Camera). Will be fixed to the next release.
- We recommend taking a backup of your data before seeking for OS update. This is because the backup option in the Sailfish OS update dialog tends to stall in some cases (after which the device must be rebooted). Backup works okay if initiated from Settings > Backup. In any case, make sure there is plenty of space in the card.
- Backup/restore can fail if jolla-email is not installed, due to an invalid assumption in the restore code. If you have difficulty in restoring a previous backup, please ensure that jolla-email is installed, and try again.
- If you have multiple Jolla C devices and backed them up to a cloud service, then in this case it may be difficult to select the wanted backup to be restored. Consider deleting the unwanted backups from the cloud (or moving them to another cloud folder temporarily) and then try again to restore.
- Very rarely Jolla tablet fails to boot to the home screen after update. Workaround it is to reboot the device.
- Rarely the pulley menu gets stuck on Jolla. Workaround is to swipe to enter home, and then go back to app and now the pulley menu should work again.
- Currently the backup and restore operations are limited to the size of the /tmp partition, which is typically around 1GB when empty. If this condition is not met, the backup operation creates an erroneous backup, or the restore operation fails to restore the backup correctly. A fix is underway for this, but in the meantime, you can clear the contents of /tmp before doing a backup or restore to maximize the available space. Do it easily in Settings > Utilities > Clear backup storage. If you have very large files that cannot be well compressed (e.g. videos) or a sizeable collection of large files (e.g. photos) that will cause the /tmp limit to be exceeded, move these to the memory card or some other off-device location before starting the backup/restore. Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups so this is predominantly an issue for memory card backup/restore operations.