This update, 2.1.0 alias Iijoki brings major architectural changes to Sailfish OS by introducing Qt 5.6 UI framework, Bluez5 Bluetooth protocol (ready to be deployed for development purposes), basics for the 64-bit architecture and text selection in browser. Included is also a beta level implementation for Virtual Private Networks (VPN) (please read release notes) and the first version of QML live coding support. In addition, 2.1.0 adds bigger fonts to the UI, improves the use of camera and fixes a number of errors, many of which were reported by our developer community.
Thank you for your contribution in improving Sailfish OS!
- Upgrade version history
- Release Highlights
- Issues reported by the community at together.jolla.com and fixed in this update:
- Updating your device
- Known issues
Upgrade version history
- 2017-02-08: 188.8.131.52 Early access release for Jolla 1, C and Tablet
This list contains examples of new features (and some bug fixes) added to SailfishOS since the 2.0.5 release.
- We have started to work on the support for Aarch64 (the 64-bit ARM architecture). This will make it possible to run Sailfish OS on processors having the ARMv8 architecture in the future.
- Special thanks for contributing to this goes to Franz-Josef Haider (krnlyng), Martin Ghosal (ghosalmartin), Matti Lehtimäki (mal), Nikita Ukhryonkov (TheKit), and the whole #sailfishos-porters Freenode IRC channel.
Bluez5 (5.43) is included in this update but not yet enabled (so Bluez4 is still in use). It is however possible to turn Bluez5 on in the developer mode for development purposes. The benefits that Bluez5 brings in the future:
-- better API support for a range of profiles
-- support for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
-- newer profile features
-- OBEX integration
-- proper support for custom profiles.
It possible to install Bluez5 libraries to Jolla C and Intex Aqua Fish devices in developer mode with command
zypper in bluez5(Jolla1 and Jolla Tablet not supported).
- Bluetooth UI system dialogues and windows redesigned to make it consistent with Sailfish OS style.
- Basic text selection (copy-paste) from web pages added. Currently selection of other editable content is not supported.
- Smart phone number text selection. User can initiate call from browser when text selection is a phone number.
- Focus handling and options simplified. Instead of the selectable modes Spot, Auto and Infinity, the camera now always defaults to Auto. Tapping the screen forces the Spot mode from which it returns after 10 seconds of no actions. There is no Infinity any more.
- Exposure menu kept visible when selecting a value. Previously when selecting a value the menu was dismissed; now click outside is needed for dismiss.
- Focus icon removed from the front camera.
- Redesigned shutter animation that considerably speeds up the shooting experience.
- Touch events are now filtered with Kalman filter to eliminate occasional jitter.
- Application update notifications are now user removable. OS notifications are still persistent until OS update installed.
- Facebook Notifications removed from Sailfish OS before the Graph API 2.4 deprecation date on 2017-03-27. This also removes the Facebook microblog service (which syncs the notifications). This change is unfortunate. It is caused by the service provider who wants to reduce the services available through the public interface which Sailfish OS relies on. The Android Facebook app should still serve you fairly well on Sailfish OS.
- Some missing Android notifications were given the priority status: TextSecure, Threema, Conversations, and K9-Mail. This makes them appear on the lock screen. They also unblank the display when the notification banner is shown.
Input and Keyboard
- Keyboard layout for Bulgarian language added.
- Keyboard layout for Gujarati language added.
- Gujarati system language added.
- Umpush font included for Thai.
- Special thanks for translating Bengali goes to Biraj Karmakar (professional translator, who volunteers to support FOSS and independent projects), Kelvin Kuniyanthodath and the whole https://smc.org.in for Malayalam, Sai Karthik Karra for Telugu, Varad Dingankar for Marathi, and to the most resourceful community member Raju Nirmala Devidas from India, who introduced all these people to Sailfish OS.
Logging and debugging
- Display wakeup reason logged to journal now. This should help finding some hidden issues.
- Qt 5.6 framework taken into use.
- Annotation support for PDF documents added. Proper icons for PDF annotation toolbar created.
- It is now possible to move back after tapping an internal PDF link - back button added.
- VPN support for OpenVPN and OpenConnect included. Further options and protocols will be added in upcoming releases. This is a beta level implementation targeted for very experienced VPN users with intent to collect feedback. The current implementation is not considered fully stable. No support exists yet for common protocols like PPTP and L2TP/IPSec.
- Easy configuration of OpenVPN by importing .ovpn file.
- Currently there is a single VPN connection which is automatically reconnected (the most recently activated connection).
- Name "Platform SDK" taken into use, replacing "Mer SDK".
- We're rolling out the first version of QML live coding support. Feedback is highly appreciated (bugs, issues in developer experience, etc).
- Applications' internal QML module naming rules relaxed. Harbour allows application internal QML imports without the "harbour" prefix.
- Backup now gives more helpful error messages, for example when there is not enough space to make the backup.
- About device page has "Sailfish OS 2.1" now.
- Setting for increasing Sailfish OS font sizes added. Options: Normal, Large, Huge.
- Button group layouts aligned across the OS.
- Combobox description label layouts aligned across the OS.
- Fingerprint UI polished.
Issues reported by the community at together.jolla.com and fixed in this update:
- https://together.jolla.com/question/54371/mail-app-does-only-partially-respect-language-settings/ (Properly localized timestamp on email reply.)
- https://together.jolla.com/question/109180/feature-request-add-missing-apps-to-the-chat-application-list/ (Notification priorities for TextSecure, Threema, Conversations, and K9-Mail added)
- https://together.jolla.com/question/832/system-wide-clipboard-copy-paste-capability/: Basic copy-paste text merged to Sailfish Browser
For detailed changelog, see https://together.jolla.com/question/153632/changelog-210iijoki/.
Updating your device
Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed in to your Jolla account. If your Jolla account is registered for Early Access releases you should receive an OS update notification when an update is available. If you have decided not to take the Early Access registration then you will get the OS update typically one week later.
We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space to the internal storage of your device before starting the update. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or to your PC or cloud service). After the upgrade turn on the option to save pictures and videos directly from the camera to the memory card (Settings > Apps > Camera). This is important particularly in case of "Jolla 1" devices (product name "Jolla" in Settings > About product).
This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:
- If you use Phonehook from OpenRepos, uninstall it before upgrading.
- If you use oFono from OpenRepos, revert to the official oFono before upgrading (or else you may face problems with LTE etc.).
- If you use Patchmanager, revert all applied patches before upgrading.
Take a backup of your data before attempting to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or to some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. Device screen may blank out during the update process; you may waken the display by a short press on the power key to monitor the progress.
For detailed instructions on updating software, visit Zendesk [ https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201836347 ].
- If you have an OS version earlier than 184.108.40.206 in your device we recommend taking a backup of your data before seeking for OS update. This is because the backup option in the Sailfish OS update dialogue tends to stall in some cases with earlier OS versions (after which the device must be rebooted). Backup works okay if initiated from Settings > Backup.
- Reliance Jio SIM cards (India) work in SIM slot #2 only according to some reports. We are not aware of similar issues in other networks.
- Bluetooth visibility setting tends to go OFF when leaving menu page Settings > Bluetooth. Changing the visibility settings to ON may require setting it first OFF, followed by setting it ON.
- Bluetooth pairing may occasionally fail (on Jolla Tablet, in particular), or turning Bluetooth ON may fail. In such cases it is best to restart the Jolla device and try again.
- We are working with Aptoide to revert the Facebook version in Aptoide Store. Version 107.x appears to crash on Sailfish OS.