Ask / Submit
18

[2.1.0.9] PyOtherSide call_sync broken

asked 2017-02-12 03:42:39 +0300

updated 2017-02-12 16:14:50 +0300

Iijoki update seems to break PyOtherSide's call_sync. It's fixed recently in the upstream development version, but no release yet.

https://github.com/thp/pyotherside/issues/49

This is a big deal as call_sync is one of the main functions for interfacing with Python -- I use it especially in QML to read values of configuration options stored in Python and there's no easy way to work around the problem.

Please pull the commit from upstream. Reverting to a pre-Iijoki version (1.3 or 1.2?) would be fine with me as well, but I don't know about other features or bugs. Pre-Iijoki 1.4.4 doesn't seem to work either, something else must have triggered the bug?

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

1

It seems I can work around this in common cases by forming the equivalent evaluate call myself, but such custom data type to string transformations are likely to be corner-case bug-prone.

otsaloma ( 2017-02-12 16:11:15 +0300 )edit

Interesting - looks like modRana has not been hit by this due to not doing any synchronous calls at all. But I guess it could be rather hard to change existing code that expects synchronous calls to work with calls that are fully asynchronous.

But in any case this is a serious regression which should be fixed.

MartinK ( 2017-02-12 17:07:45 +0300 )edit
1

BTW, I have a merge request open for updating PyOtherSide to 1.5.

I guess the fix for the call_sync could be also proposed/added in similar way (either to current 1.4 or to 1.5 after/if the update merge request is accepted).

MartinK ( 2017-02-13 17:23:56 +0300 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
4

answered 2017-03-17 19:21:22 +0300

MartinK gravatar image

updated 2017-04-29 21:56:02 +0300

This should be fixed in PyOtherSide 1.5.1, so I've update the PyOtherSide update merge request for the pyotherside package in mer-core:

https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/pyotherside/merge_requests/2

Once this is merged and the updated library finds it's way into a new Sailfish OS release then this issue (and quite many others, not to mention new features added since 1.4) should be fixed.

I've also added "updating PyOtherSide" as a topic for the upcoming Sailfish OS community meeting.

That should hopefully get things rolling.

Update: The PyOtherSide update has been merged (thanks Larstiq! :) ) and should be part of the Sailfish OS update after the next one (eq. 2.1.x + 2). :)

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
5 followers

Stats

Asked: 2017-02-12 03:42:39 +0300

Seen: 465 times

Last updated: Apr 29