Ask / Submit
12

system_server eating up CPU

asked 2017-05-11 11:59:53 +0300

DrYak gravatar image

updated 2019-09-02 14:15:11 +0300

jovirkku gravatar image

I've recently noticed poor battery life on my Jolla 1. After investigating ( top in terminal or ssh ), I've noticed that often android's system_server end up eventually eating all CPU cycles.

I've tried various approaches (e.g.: force-stopping all installed android apps), the only one that works is shutting down and restarting alien-dalvik (systemctl restart alien-dalvik.service or from GUI).

Sadly I don't know android well enough to investigate better (I'm more a vanilla GNU/Linux guy). Is there a way to get logs from system_server, I would like to pin point down which element is causing this high cpu usage.

I'm running Sailfish OS 2.1.0.11 "Iijoki"

Edit: Reopened since this is still an issue on the latest OS release. (And I don't see this as a duplicate of the AD memory issue since that has been (if not fixed) at least higly improved).

edit retag flag offensive close delete

3 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
1

answered 2019-09-02 17:33:50 +0300

hlub gravatar image

updated 2019-09-02 17:58:57 +0300

There are several apps that read logs (I searched for "logcat" on Google Play). catlog works on my Jolla1, and it lets one filter on e.g. the PID of system_server

Alternatively, you can install an Android terminal emulator and run the command logcat from the shell prompt

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

0

answered 2017-05-11 16:47:00 +0300

nthn gravatar image

This has been a problem since the beginning, never fixed and no one seems to know what's causing it. Either way this is a duplicate: https://together.jolla.com/question/46869/system_server-eating-up-all-memory/

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

1

Yes, I know of this question. It is returned when searching

Technically it's not a duplicate :

  • I'm complaining about CPU usage keeping stuck ~98%.
  • @jkario and @Manankanchu are complaining of system_server consuming more RAM+swap than available.

Read again my post carefully :

  • I'm not asking for a solution.
  • I'm asking Is there a way to get logs from system_server, I would like to pin point down which element is causing this high cpu usage.

BTW, problem affect even Android running on other smartphone (Apparently it's also a frequent problem on some Samsung Galaxys).

DrYak ( 2017-05-11 18:03:30 +0300 )edit
1

@nthn i agree with @DrYak that's not a dupe.the thread that you mentioned report a problem with the memory place of the process, not the cpu usage... similar but not the same.
Imagine, If this one is closed a duplicate, then its information won't be used.
That is 2 separate bugs is not to exclude.
My point of view is the job to jolla team, to cross information of both, or to let separately. they have the code under the nose. ;-)

cemoi71 ( 2017-05-12 09:56:03 +0300 )edit

Technically, it isn't that much Jolla, but Myriad who have the code under their nose (as they are the 3rd party making the Alien-dalvik component for Android support ) and Google (as it is a standard Android component ).

But yeah, memoryleak is very likely not caused by the same problem as CPU hog.

now if someone could point me in the right direction to check the logs...

DrYak ( 2017-05-12 11:09:40 +0300 )edit

@DrYak but technically jolla is confronted to develop the integration of the alien.d.
And i can represent my self that's not so easy to do this. As i remember the alien.d is a proprio software <=> black-box.

cemoi71 ( 2017-05-12 11:53:02 +0300 )edit
0

answered 2019-09-02 23:06:17 +0300

itdoesntmatt gravatar image

On a just-flashed XA2 i'm facing the same issue (CPU spikes from system_server procesI tried to unistall and reinstall androd support but it didnt get solved. Then I decide to do a factory reset but nothing changed. I tried to reflash sfosbut the issue is still there. As long as Android Support is activated, system_server process is there, using 90% -100% of CPU, making the phone lagging and heating. Stopping it solves the issue.

After some days I thought I spotted the problem, as I was able to riproduce it multiple times. I noticed that whenever a cardav account was set (in my case using disroot.org) and then AD restarted the process system_server did start to eat cpu. I said that i thought I spotted it cause I was likely wrong, since even without any carddav account I am still experimenting this issue. For now I flashed my device back to android, but it's a shame sailfish is still so unrealiable and full of bugs. I hope in a fix from Jolla.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
3 followers

Stats

Asked: 2017-05-11 11:59:53 +0300

Seen: 3,649 times

Last updated: Sep 02