We have moved to a new Sailfish OS Forum. Please start new discussions there.

Unicode Characters in Calendar (CalDav) [released]

asked 2018-06-12 10:48:18 +0300

tridy gravatar image

updated 2019-12-19 16:55:23 +0300


When I am trying to add a calendar item with some Russian characters, it gets creaded and saved on the phone alright. However when it goes through the sync and comes back, it is displayed with HTML(?) codes instead.

It works as expected when I work with Thunderbird. So, it seems that there is a problem when displaying unicode characters in Sailfish Calendar in my case:

image description

I am using SOGo CalDav.

Is there any way of fixing it?


Edit: this should be fixed in 3.2.1. If some problems are still occurring with HTML entities on device, please reopen the question.

edit retag flag offensive reopen delete

The question has been closed for the following reason "released in a software update" by Damien Caliste
close date 2019-12-19 16:54:14.384069


I have no problem with nextCloud CalDav. Just tested with previously added event — Cyrillic characters displayed correctly.

Marzanna ( 2018-06-12 12:09:55 +0300 )edit

I have tested it on an Android device with DavDroid. it seems to be working there okay.

tridy ( 2018-06-12 12:48:33 +0300 )edit

Same here. I have mentioned the problem in CAlDAV/CardDAV testing thread (https://together.jolla.com/question/158893/caldavcarddav-testing-volunteers-requested/#comment-173266). As a workaround, I have used EAS for some time instead, but it stopped working since 2.2 :/

briest ( 2018-06-23 16:49:18 +0300 )edit

I would like to try to correct your problem, but, I cannot reproduce it. I've tested to create an event on device or on server and sync on device, modify on device and re-sync… No way to obtain your issue with mailbox.org CalDAV implementation.

May I ask you which server you're using ? May be, you can follow these steps to gather logs from the sync plugin ?

Damien Caliste ( 2019-06-03 14:30:47 +0300 )edit

I am (my provider) is using SOGo server. I do not know how to get the version number of it though. Do i do it via command line?

At this point, I cannot even add a new CalDAV/CardDAV account. I have the links to the calendar and address book addresses but when I try adding them to the new account in Sailfish OS (, I constantly get an error that something went wrong. What do I use as "Server Address" ? Is there a manual somewhere on how to add CalDAV and CardDAV?

tridy ( 2019-06-22 14:48:06 +0300 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2019-08-12 12:58:20 +0300

updated 2019-08-12 12:58:57 +0300

Thanks to @briest for providing an account for test. I'm proposing a fix in SailfishOS Gitlab. I'll discuss it with @chris.adams tomorrow on IRC#sailfishos.

The issue was coming from the fact that we were escaping too much some characters to avoid the XML parser to fail on CalDAV data containing HTML characters. It seems that Sogo is escaping already the UTF-8 characters into HTML entites (which is fine), while other servers are sending these characters as plain UTF-8 ones.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more


@Damiel Caliste, this is really good news! I hope it is connected to these two issues, too, fixing them also:

Maus ( 2019-08-12 17:38:52 +0300 )edit

Sorry @Maus, the modified code is strictly in CalDAV part, so no improvement in CardDAV… About the attendee list, I can give a look, but once again, I'm afraid, it's unrelated…

Damien Caliste ( 2019-08-12 17:53:14 +0300 )edit

Question tools



Asked: 2018-06-12 10:48:18 +0300

Seen: 254 times

Last updated: Dec 19 '19