Ask / Submit
9

[3.0.0.8] [Sailfish X] [browser] sailfish-browser crashes: broken, missing, or disappeared libxul.so?

asked 2018-11-10 12:47:47 +0200

mniemi gravatar image

updated 2018-12-10 01:53:03 +0200

carmenfdezb gravatar image

I happily unlocked and flashed an Xperia XA2 dual sim version and finally (after third try) got it up and running last night (with the help of the additional complementary instructions). The fresh install worked fine and I was able to install a couple of additional apps, too. I kept the sailfish-browser on all the time and was able to nicely browse several sites in a normal manner.

However, this morning I rebooted the Xperia XA2 (for the first time, I guess). After that, the sailfish-browser did not start anymore, and it has kept hanging since that - not starting anymore. As I try to restart it from the command line, there appears to be a "segmentation fault" with the following indication about missing libxul.so:

[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ sailfish-browser
[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
greHome from GRE_HOME:/usr/bin
libxul.so is not found, in /usr/bin/libxul.so
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/xulrunner-qt5-38.8.0/libxul.so:
/usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: fribidi_get_par_embedding_levels_ex
Could not start XPCOM glue:/usr/lib/xulrunner-qt5-38.8.0/libxul.so.
Segmentation fault
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$

I wonder what might have caused something like this? Naturally, it may be that some additional apps could have tampered the installation somehow, but that sounds strange, as they were same apps that I had in my previous Jolla 1 and Jolla C, too.

Reinstalling libxul.so somehow would be my initial idea to recover from this, but I do not have a real idea on how to do that. I already removed and reinstalled the sailfish-browser with the commands pkcon remove sailfish-browser and pkcon install sailfish-browser but that did not help.

EDIT: Finally, I ended up reinstalling Sailfish X again to my Xperia XA2 (dual sim) as the installation was a relatively fresh one and no valuable personal data had yet been stored to the device. Therefore, in my case, this error remains a mystery without a real solution.

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

i just started the browser from the terminal. i got also the message libxul.so is not found in /usr/bin/libxul.so bit it start just started afterwards... i found it under /usr/lib/xulrunner-qt5-38.8.0/libxul.so like mentioned above... When i read you Errormessage i think it is more about libpango...

MadMe86 ( 2018-11-13 23:15:31 +0200 )edit
1

I have the same problem. Has anyone a idea, without reflashing?

timmyneun ( 2018-11-14 22:50:45 +0200 )edit
2

Same issue with XperiaX. Slow browser on lots of sites or browser is blocking or it blocks phone. Worst than with Sailfish 2. Almost unusable. The only browser that works is Firefox via Alien Dalvik. I didn't bought Sailfish to run Android apps. A web browser is the bare minimum for a smartphone.

ron282 ( 2018-11-20 07:33:05 +0200 )edit

@ron286 Same issue? you expirience a slow browser expierience. mniemi s browser didn`t started at all...

MadMe86 ( 2018-11-20 09:32:59 +0200 )edit
1

For me since 3.0.0.8 on sailfishx the native browser is unusable. Almost each time I try to read lemonde.fr for ex, the browser crashes, the phone does not respond and eventually restart itself or I have to press power+ vol up to make it restart. Quite annoying :(

Dam ( 2018-11-28 14:11:21 +0200 )edit

2 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2018-11-28 17:00:03 +0200

jabgoe gravatar image

updated 2018-11-28 19:08:14 +0200

ok, tinkering did help a little. I tried to create symlinks with the names of the missing files libxul.so and libfridibi.so.0.

the symlink /usr/bin/libxul.so pointing to /usr/lib/xulrunner-qt5-38.8.0/libxul.so didn't have any effect. startup of sailfish-browser failed.

when i got the name right and the typo corrected (who on earth names a library libfridiibiddi??) the second symlink works: /usr/lib/libfribidi.so.0 pointing to /usr/lib/libfribidi.so.0.4.0:

ln -s /usr/lib/libfribidi.so.0.4.0 /usr/lib/libfribidi.so.0

that allows the sailfish-browser to start again (on my xperiax).

but i'd say someone has missed his homework there. it's still broken!

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
0

answered 2018-12-10 17:45:14 +0200

carmenfdezb gravatar image

I've fixed this issue reinstalling fribidi library:

devel-su
pkcon install fribidi
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

Hi, reinstalling fribidi doesn't fix this issue for me.

Ziom ( 2018-12-13 09:23:36 +0200 )edit

Try to reinstall xulrunner-qt5 (I did that before reinstalling fribidi):

devel-su
pkcon install xulrunner-qt5
carmenfdezb ( 2018-12-13 10:37:02 +0200 )edit

thanks for your help. i tried to reinstall xulrunner-qt5 before reinstalling fribidi but nothing change.

Ziom ( 2018-12-13 20:46:51 +0200 )edit

Sorry, I don't know how to help you

carmenfdezb ( 2018-12-13 23:26:48 +0200 )edit
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
5 followers

Stats

Asked: 2018-11-10 12:47:47 +0200

Seen: 782 times

Last updated: Dec 10