Ask / Submit
3

Can not send e-mail when mobile data connection

asked 2019-06-01 13:11:38 +0300

ajalkane gravatar image

updated 2019-06-01 14:16:37 +0300

With 3.0.3.10 I can not send e-mail (gmail account) with standard Jolla client if I'm on mobile data connection. The data connection works, and for example browser works as expected. When I try to send an e-mail, I get an alert:

"Problem with sending email"

If I connect to WLAN, sending e-mail works. Again disconnecting and using only mobile data sending e-mail does not work.

Device is XA2 plus

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

XA2? The standard Sailfish OS Mail app, or an Android app?

The Android apps seem to have weirdest app-specific hiccups with mobile/wifi connections on XA2. Two days back Play Store insisted for me that there is no network connection while Chrome simultaneously surfed the net like nothing.

teemu ( 2019-06-01 14:10:07 +0300 )edit

Sorry, forgot the most pertinent information. XA2 Plus and with standard Jolla e-mail client.

I have problems with several Android applications also with wifi (but not all).

ajalkane ( 2019-06-01 14:17:33 +0300 )edit

There has been a similar issue with Microsoft Exchange accounts, where the account stops syncing automatically (and then manually). Some reports had it that changes in network may have caused it after the phone had been up and running for some time (some idle daemon acting up, or something). I personally had better luck syncing with the mobile connection though.

These latest Sailfish OS updates claim that they have fixed that issue now, but maybe there is a different related issue now courtesy of the fix?

You should try to setup journalctr to log the issues with the Email client on the Terminal, and then try to send a mail; it maybe would help to pinpoint what exactly fails in the email sending process.

Alas, you need a better man than myself to instruct you how to set the logging up, because I don't have the skills.

teemu ( 2019-06-01 14:33:47 +0300 )edit

I also have this problem, but the other way around: sending with gmail works using the mobile data connection, but not with wifi. My device is a Gemini, running 3.0.3.10. Regular email accounts work fine.

flotsam ( 2019-06-02 12:10:15 +0300 )edit

journalctl does have "Unexpected response from server: smtp.gmail.com 5.5.4 HELO/EHLO argument ..." etc.

It has a link to google's support page https://support.google.com/mail/?p=helo which says

HELO/EHLO email error
If you tried to send an email and got back a bounce message that said something like  "HELO/EHLO argument invalid" here are the steps you can take:

Contact your email administrator. You should have an administrator if you’re using Gmail for a work, school, or organization account. Otherwise, you can contact your email provider. 
Ask your administrator to send the fully-qualified domain name or IP address of the sending server when contacting Gmail servers.
This error usually comes up with devices like printers, scanners, and fax machines that also send mail. 

I can't make heads or tails of this as I tried with my personal account and not any organization account. Unless my internet provider is having some nefarious SMTP proxy that resends the message to google.

I've tried this with Saunalahti and DNA, both having same error. It'd be weird if they both suddenly decided to have nefarious SMTP proxy. It could of course be that Google itself has changed something recently that makes these nefarious SMTP proxies fail :D.

ajalkane ( 2019-06-02 20:27:23 +0300 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
1

answered 2019-06-13 16:01:17 +0300

flotsam gravatar image

I found the problem; my problem at any rate.

In short, IPv6 seems to confuse the message server process. If IPv6 is in use, then for some reason, it seems to take the address from the "ifb0" pseudo-interface. Unfortuneately the "ifb0" interface will have an autoconfigured link-local IPv6 address, which then gets used. e.g. it sends the ESMTP hello as: EHLO [fe80::7f1c:9e91:8e04:70b2%ifb0] This is completely bogus, and google doesn't like it, so the whole connection fails.

My workaround is to disable IPv6 on the ifb0 and ifb1 interfaces. i.e. create a ".conf" file in /etc/sysctl.d containing the lines:

net.ipv6.conf.ifb0.disable_ipv6=1
net.ipv6.conf.ifb1.disable_ipv6=1

Reboot, and, as far as I can tell, everything seems to work fine.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
4 followers

Stats

Asked: 2019-06-01 13:11:38 +0300

Seen: 166 times

Last updated: Jun 13