[INFO] 16.05.2015 - Feature Announced on SailfishOS Roadmap
SIP and other VoIP protocols are a desired feature in Sailfish. Most of the bits and pieces are already there and can be made to work somewhat. See @Aard 's response and also various comments in this item. It's been made clear by Jolla, that this is not a high priority feature for them, but community help would be appreciated and could accelerate its integration. As the community has pretty much exhausted their possibilities and done things in the open source parts of Sailfish, it's now up to Jolla to eventually hold their part of the bargain. To remind them this has been placed on the agenda for the next community meeting.
Current status (1.):
- Telepathy framework is in place
Telepathy Rakia and Sofia-SIP are available from official repositories and can be installed
pkcon install sofia-sip pkcon install telepathy-rakia
A simple pulse-audio config tweak exists to make call audio work for testing (speaker/top-mic only). put the following in /etc/pulse/xpolicy.conf . then
systemctl restart pulseaudio.service.
[stream] exe = voicecall-manager group = call
It is possible to set up an SIP account using mc-tool (you'll need to reboot after installing the programs above)
mc-tool add sofiasip/sip name string:account=user@host mc-tool update sofiasip/sip/name string:password=passw0rd mc-tool enable sofiasip/sip/name mc-tool request sofiasip/sip/name online mc-tool reconnect sofiasip/sip/name
Receiving calls works (note audio limitations)
- Audio routing is currently not supported (this especially means, that headsets, neither wired nor bluetooth will work)
- There is no accounts UI for SIP
No easy way to place outbound calls (Using Nemo and it's dialer UI on a Jolla device allows to place a call)
need the reproducer for this... is this mc-tool as well?
We as the community should step in and help figure out some missing bits, especially considering the last two items. Also SIP calls need more testing, so apply the workaround and use it. Note that call quality for VoIP from mobile devices is generally expected to be lower than mobile phone calls due to factors like WiFi congestion and low quality audio codecs.
Please refrain from:
- posting how much of a vital, ground breaking, magical, awesome, silver bullet feature it is. It's not, it's just a nice to have, also such messages just cause massive spam in people's inboxes, they add zero value, so please don't.
- posting that "Jolla still didn't deliver this, ZOMG!", well DUH, no sh*t Sherlock, they've made it clear they won't, if it's going to be delivered someone will add a note and close this. Also this causes annoying spam for many people, so please don't.
One of the features that I'm missing most from Nokia N9 is the native (and really well done) SIP integration. As far as I know there should be an opensource library that is used also by other clients like CSipSimple for Android or a couple of them on BB10. The missing part is the client and the integration with Jolla dialer.
Request: please integrate a native SIP client in Jolla.
p.s: do you think this could be a completly opensource application (made entirely by the community) or, since we want to integrate it in the dialer, it must be done by you?