Ask / Submit
46

[bug] Connection to Wifi cameras via Android apps

asked 2014-06-27 16:38:05 +0200

Wizah gravatar image

updated 2014-07-22 10:06:12 +0200

jiit gravatar image

At first I planned to buy a GoPro Hero 3+. Some say it works via Wifi and others say it doesn't. https://together.jolla.com/question/44075/anyone-tried-the-android-app-for-gopro-wifi-cameras/

So I went and bought the Sony Action Cam HDR-AS100V instead but the Android version of Sony Play Memories app doesn't do anything after I've connected the camera to my Jolla via Wifi. Works great on my old Galaxy Tab 7" P1000.

What is causing this issue with Wifi and Android apps? Is it going to be fixed soon? Does anyone else have any experiences using cameras and other devices via Wifi, do they work?

The first time I connected to the Wifi camera via Sailfish settings, I got an error saying something like "Error: No connection to internet". Well duh, that was kind of expected when I connected to the camera. Is it BTW possible to keep two Wifi connections alive? One for internet and the other for a camera etc?

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

3

I have tried to connect Gopro apps, Nikon wmu apps and eyefi apps. Doesn't work. And I need all these! Would be nice if Jolla get these working.

Otohp ( 2014-09-24 14:50:16 +0200 )edit
3

Also need this for Panasonic Image App. One of things I dream about and switch from N9 no Jolla - be able to connect to my camera.

evadim ( 2014-11-20 00:11:08 +0200 )edit
4

I have the same issue. Works great with an android phone and connects almost immediately however when running the app on my Jolla it can't seem to find the camera although it is connected to it's wifi. Would be great if this could be solved as I don't want to run around with my old android phone :P

perupp ( 2014-12-23 15:04:54 +0200 )edit

I have the same issue with Sony HDR-AS100S: the PlayMemories (Android) app is not able to connect to the camera although the wifi connection between the two devices have been established.

However, a recent developer email suggests that Sailfish OS 1.1.7 (upgrade 16) might include "Improvements to WLAN connection issues w.r.t Android apps". Here's to hope that this would fix the issue.

Please vote if you have similar issues.

Jarkko ( 2015-06-29 16:43:54 +0200 )edit

1.1.7 did not fixed the issue.

kiril.anastasov ( 2015-07-17 14:07:31 +0200 )edit

3 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
-1

answered 2016-01-06 16:43:49 +0200

Bavarian gravatar image

Any Update on this one? I am trying to get a connection to my GoPro but it doesnt work...

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

2

Nope, Android Support still can't do stuff like this. Please convert your answer into a comment.

jollailija ( 2016-01-06 17:09:30 +0200 )edit

How can we still not have it working. With all the promo Jolla did at the start for Android support I feel betrayed. I get it that 90% of Android Apps works on Jolla, but lets be fair and also mention that 95% of Apps are utter shit in general. The remaining 5% is like gamble on Jolla with a 80% chance of failure! I hope they get it fixed soon....

Edit: forgot to mention, have a Hero4 Black, can't use it with me phone...

motka ( 2016-03-23 19:08:21 +0200 )edit
0

answered 2016-08-15 22:00:04 +0200

repeat.spacer gravatar image

Came to here to get some answers why doesn't my drift stealth 2 action cam get connected to it's own Android app. Just wanted to let you know that my garmin virb elite action cam wifi connection is working fine with it's own Android app on both J1&JC. Wifi connection indicates same with both action cams (limited connectivity) which probably means no internet access. So maybe the problem is not only in Jolla/SFOS. Still this is not the correct answer..


edit flag offensive delete publish link more
9

answered 2016-08-15 22:33:50 +0200

tigeli gravatar image

Most of the action-cameras use Wi-Fi Direct/P2P..(or whatever you want to call it) and currently SailfishOS does not have Wi-Fi P2P support enabled even though the underneath components have experimental implementation for it.

I did work on this some time ago with Jolla1, Tablet and C (early prototype).. and oh boy there were issues to be solved starting from wlan driver.. to middleware.

Anyway, maybe someday..

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

2

If it like you are mentioning, this is a serious drawback caused by software (and not by hardware, as has usually been the case). So, for 2017 I wish Sailfish to fix this !

HeinrichJolla ( 2017-01-02 00:11:58 +0200 )edit
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
23 followers

Stats

Asked: 2014-06-27 16:38:05 +0200

Seen: 2,209 times

Last updated: Aug 15 '16