Ask / Submit
174

SailfishOS, open source, collaboration meeting planning

asked 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0300

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2017-09-07 09:19:01 +0300

c.la gravatar image

Next meeting:Wednesday 20th of September 2017 at 08:00 UTC. The meeting will be held on Freenode IRC, #mer-meeting ( http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#mer-meeting )

Check here for your local time: http://bit.ly/2gMGhpz

Agenda/topics:

  • add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can timebox the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can't make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here on TJC or on the mailing list and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn't clear enough it will be postponed.


Template for topic proposal: (edit this wiki directly to add your topics)

  • Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)

  • Name / IRC nick: nh1402
  • topic: Vulkan support in Sailfish
  • some details about the topic: You now have 2 official devices that support Vulkan. The argument before was that there wasn't Vulkan support for the Android driver for the tablet, but it seems that has now changed.
  • approx time needed: 10 minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)

  • Name / IRC nick: c_la
  • topic: open sourcing of Sailfish OS components
  • some details about the topic: during the last community meeting (September, 6th) it was discussed the idea of implementing multiscreen or PiP but it was turned down because key components of SFOS are not opensourced and thus the community can't do much. Many community members believe Jolla should urgently release a list of components that will be open sourced otherwise the community can't help Jolla improve sailfish.
  • approx time needed: 30 minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!): M4rtinK, leszek (to be confirmed)

For background info and invitation to this series of meetings, please see this post. Past meeting minutes, list of action points and further information are here, more recent minutes are here

Meeting Chair: (volunteers, suggestions,nominations...)

Responsibilities of meeting chair: send invitation/agenda before the meeting, keep time and order during the meeting, send minutes and next meeting planning info after the meeting.

  • James Noori (Jaymzz)
  • Steph Gosling (stephg)
  • Joshua Strobl (JoshStrobl)
  • Carsten Munk (Stskeeps)
  • Iekku Pylkkä (iekku)
  • Carol Chen (cybette)
  • (your name here)

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

7

Nice that you decided to move this here from the previous pad - I think TJC will serve well in this purpose also, also good to have many different topics under the same roof. Meetings might get new people too?

simo ( 2014-08-21 23:19:11 +0300 )edit
8

@cybette I wonder about the outcome of the action items 2 and 3 from the September 23th meeting:
> 2. Jolla to possibly spare some engineering time and fix up the proprietary bits to at least not crash and burn on SIP
> 3. cybette to poke SIP/dialer guys in Jolla
Unfortunately SIP is still not usable using the latest Jolla update.

alex25 ( 2014-10-28 08:46:46 +0300 )edit

bump. next meeting 7th Jan ?

kimmoli ( 2015-01-05 23:09:51 +0300 )edit

@kimmoli: yes

sledges ( 2015-01-06 16:49:45 +0300 )edit
4

@kimmoli@sledges thanks for the reminder. Sending email...

cybette ( 2015-01-06 16:54:55 +0300 )edit

39 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
1

answered 2017-09-04 08:02:54 +0300

sugashrajavelu gravatar image

Name : Sugash

Topic : Custom Gestures & Fastening UI.

Details of the topic :

Custom Guestures :

Currently we have limited user customizable guestures.which causes a problem either between left and right hand users . User definable guestures can add more customizability and it can showcase Sailfish Os as the best Customizable Os.

Fastening UI :

1.The animation speed is slow and it's seem to appeal as a Slow Ui or OS . ( The Warehouse patch is liitle laggy and it doesn't appear to be native ) . Speed can also be made User Customizable ! which adds more UI customizability !

2.Remorse timer is the best of Sailfish . Few think why to wait for 5 sec for a single action ( probably Not true as we can continue with other activities ) . Many tend to wait for the completion if they work on the same page . So adding an immediate action button on the remorse action bar will make it easy & faster appealing .

approx time needed: 10min

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

As for point #2, I absolutely agree that the remorse timer needs a re-work, not from a technical view, but from a UI perspective. By means of design, the remorse timer can be changed to be clear on what it shows and what the user can do, and the immediate button is a brilliant idea to improve it.

I've been using many (mobile) UIs so far, and I must admit that the SFOS remorse timer always puzzles me still after all those years, and this even annoys me almost daily.

Another improvement would be to make the remorse timer's timeout configurable. (I know this can be done by patching.)

Maus ( 2017-09-07 09:35:47 +0300 )edit

What do you think about user customizable guestures ? Any reasons you have for other listed ideas ? pls mention it , so that i can get some info .

sugashrajavelu ( 2017-09-07 12:21:33 +0300 )edit
3

answered 2017-07-17 00:43:35 +0300

adamski gravatar image

updated 2017-07-17 00:44:17 +0300

Name / IRC nick: adamski

topic: Jolla Harbour paid apps

some details about the topic: What is holding things up regarding paid apps and IAP on Jolla Harbour?

approx time needed: 3 mins

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

Edit first post and add your topic there

atlochowski ( 2017-07-17 09:38:30 +0300 )edit
1

OK, I see, however I am a new user on here and don't have enough karma points to edit wiki posts. Thanks

adamski ( 2017-07-17 12:16:14 +0300 )edit
1

@adamski I've added that for you, welcome :)

r0kk3rz ( 2017-07-17 15:24:36 +0300 )edit
0

answered 2017-07-16 14:17:03 +0300

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2017-07-16 14:17:03 +0300

I would propose to add an old question from 2015:

Inclusion of Bluetooth LE SDK libraries

Bluez5 already included for some devices as tech preview, so it would be good to know when can we expect least tech preview SDK support. What blockers does it have, what kind of help could be done by the community in this matter.

With high possibility I will not be able to attend on the meeting, but if someone could represent this question that would be great. Please let me know in a comment if you could present it on the meeting, and I will add to the proposals.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
0

answered 2017-06-14 09:51:53 +0300

Xray2000 gravatar image

Name / IRC nick: Xray2000

topic: Will the Xperia X comming for shure, and will alien dalviek updated to a newer android

approx time needed: 5 minutes

optional: if i'm not there simply answer the question, i will read it in the logs...

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
2

answered 2017-06-12 22:09:55 +0300

remote gravatar image
  • Name / IRC nick: remote
  • topic: How soon 2sim version of Xperia X (F5122) will be supported after F5121 fw release?
  • approx time needed: 3 min
edit flag offensive delete publish link more
6

answered 2017-05-03 11:45:32 +0300

leszek gravatar image

updated 2017-05-03 11:46:46 +0300

  • Name / IRC nick: leszek
  • topic: Sony Xperia X camera support full or limited (like AOSP driver) ?
  • some details about the topic: Sony
    disables some camera features for
    AOSP (some need proprietary stuff or patented stuff). Is SailfishOS on Xperia X getting the full support or only the AOSP support (which is pretty limited) ?
  • approx time needed: 5-10 mins
edit flag offensive delete publish link more
5

answered 2017-04-16 20:29:37 +0300

Toxip gravatar image

updated 2017-04-16 20:32:39 +0300

  • Name / IRC nick : bshah, toxip, mariogrip

  • Topic: Project Halium, collaboration on common android base

  • Description: Currently Ubuntu Touch, SailfishOS/Mer, Plasma Mobile and others have different android source trees and methods on how our stacks are built even though much of the underlying technologies are the same. There is a lot of unneeded fragmentation. Project Halium aims solve this by the having common android base and perhaps common middleware between different projects so that we could collaborate and distribute each of our resources more efficiently. More details about this project was sent to sailfishos devel list : http://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2017-April/007842.html

  • Approx time needed: 10-15 mins

  • Backup: (The whole Halium team will be there so no backup needed)

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
5

answered 2017-02-14 21:32:24 +0300

pavi gravatar image
  • Name / IRC nick: pavi
  • Topic: Clarify and cleanup of Wiki's
  • Details about the topic

We have currently 2 Wikis, one is at https://wiki.merproject.org/ and the other is at https://sailfishos.org/wiki/ . This issue concerns the visiblity of three projects SailfishOS, Mer and Nemo. The three are related to Mer but the information in the wiki is

  • Too confusing
  • Repeated
  • Ambiguous
  • Written in wrong place
  • Outdated

So I hope some time is spent to discuss these issues. I am adding this to locusf topic above discussing Nemo. Please discuss this issue close to that topic.

  • Time Required: 20 minutes
  • backup:locusf
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

ditto that, roll into one add category like Mer, Sailfish, Nemo, similar to Open Repos way of one website but with filter to screen out messages related to mer for example.

DarkTuring ( 2017-02-14 22:48:25 +0300 )edit
4

answered 2017-02-14 12:33:18 +0300

  • Name / IRC nick: locusf

  • Topic: Nemo Mobile as community distribution for SailfishOS

  • Details about the topic

After giving this some thought, about what was discussed at the previous Jolla community meeting at FOSDEM, I've come up with an idea on how Nemo Mobile can make use of the open source efforts of Jolla. It would be quite useful to have mer feeding off of Fedora packages with the newest versions of stuff and co-maintaining the middleware update effort with Fedora community.

But about how Fedora and Red Hat are related, I'd like to propose an extension to Oleg's idea which relates to this, so that Nemo Mobile could be to Sailfish OS what Fedora is to Red Hat. I know its an old idea I once before proposed. but now that the open source effort from SailfishOS is apparently closing in, it would make sense to have Nemo not (necessarily) with its open UX for Glacier but rather as a community based bleeding edge testing environment for SailfishOS. Which is (at least how I have understood it) like what Fedora is doing with Red Hat distribution.

  • approx time needed: 1 hour

  • optional: nemomobile contributors

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
2

answered 2017-01-13 10:38:54 +0300

coderus gravatar image
edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
78 followers

Stats

Asked: 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0300

Seen: 49,774 times

Last updated: Sep 07