Ask / Submit
149

SailfishOS, open source, collaboration meeting planning

asked 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0200

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2017-02-04 18:03:14 +0200

James gravatar image

Next meeting:Monday 6th of March 2017 at 09:00 UTC. The meeting will be held on Freenode IRC, #mer-meeting ( http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#mer-meeting )

Agenda/topics:

  • add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can timebox the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can't make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here on TJC or on the mailing list and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn't clear enough it will be postponed.


Template for topic proposal: (edit this wiki directly to add your topics)

  • Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)

For background info and invitation to this series of meetings, please see this post. Past meeting minutes, list of action points and further information are here

Meeting Chair: (volunteers, suggestions,nominations...)

Responsibilities of meeting chair: send invitation/agenda before the meeting, keep time and order during the meeting, send minutes and next meeting planning info after the meeting.

  • James Noori (Jaymzz)
  • Steph Gosling (stephg)
  • Joshua Strobl (JoshStrobl)
  • Carsten Munk (Stskeeps)
  • Iekku Pylkkä (iekku)
  • Carol Chen (cybette)
  • (your name here)

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

7

Nice that you decided to move this here from the previous pad - I think TJC will serve well in this purpose also, also good to have many different topics under the same roof. Meetings might get new people too?

simo ( 2014-08-21 23:19:11 +0200 )edit
8

@cybette I wonder about the outcome of the action items 2 and 3 from the September 23th meeting:
> 2. Jolla to possibly spare some engineering time and fix up the proprietary bits to at least not crash and burn on SIP
> 3. cybette to poke SIP/dialer guys in Jolla
Unfortunately SIP is still not usable using the latest Jolla update.

alex25 ( 2014-10-28 08:46:46 +0200 )edit

bump. next meeting 7th Jan ?

kimmoli ( 2015-01-05 23:09:51 +0200 )edit

@kimmoli: yes

sledges ( 2015-01-06 16:49:45 +0200 )edit
4

@kimmoli@sledges thanks for the reminder. Sending email...

cybette ( 2015-01-06 16:54:55 +0200 )edit

32 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
5

answered 2016-04-07 10:22:22 +0200

247 gravatar image

Name / IRC nick: luca247

topic: when daemon and others forbidden components will be permitted in the store

some details about the topic: we have some great apps in openrepos like sailorgram (a telegram client) or webpirate (a native browser) that cannot make into the store becase daemons or other components are forbidden on the harbour...i understand you want a safe store but this way we will never grow up...openrepos is updating apps sometimes even with a rythm of 2/3 per day...the jolla store have a rythm of 1 every 2 or 3 weeks...this is simply ridicolous...even microsoft doesn't have such rigid rules and the store is the most clean...we know our developers and we know they are not harming the system and after thissometime ago we were talking about users that could test applications before release to help jolla...any news on that?

approx time needed: 5 minutes

optional: just answer if i'm not there i will read the logs

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
5

answered 2016-12-04 19:32:21 +0200

RodSeq gravatar image

updated 2016-12-05 13:25:08 +0200

  • Name / IRC nick : RodSeq
  • Topic : Google Play services
  • Some details about the topic : the Gplay services app is not well integrated in the OS yet. Would it be possible to have a stable "frozen" Gplay services app on the Jolla Store to be downloaded like other Android apps ? There is already a great solution developped on OpenRepos (https://openrepos.net/content/coderus/opengapps-pico-installer#comment-16413) that would really help simplifying the Saiflish user experience for basic users while to my view respecting all the necessary Gplay services permissions
  • approx time needed : 15mn
edit flag offensive delete publish link more
5

answered 2017-01-09 08:29:39 +0200

Name / IRC nick: Mohit / anekantxx topic: VoLTE support in Sailfish/Aqua Fish some details about the topic: Without VoLTE, during calls, network gets switched to 2G mode from LTE/4G which causes 1. loss of data/internet 2. poor network quality due to fluctuation 3. calls are ended a good 5-10 seconds after tapping the "end call". Some networks in India (e.g. JIO) use VoLTE exclusively and other leading operators are also planning to do the same in near future. approx time needed: 5min

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
4

answered 2015-12-09 19:43:58 +0200

Dave999 gravatar image

Thank you for still running these meetings.

I'm interested in what is happening with the tablet and all things related to the tablet.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

... and especially interested in promised blog post clarifying and finally settling down this whole damn thing...

zlutor ( 2016-01-24 17:31:55 +0200 )edit

Latest details from Juhani Lasilla regarding the tablet can be found on: http://reviewjolla.blogspot.nl/2016/02/jolla-tablets-in-china.html

The rest can be found in the official Jolla Blog post: https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-closure/

JSE ( 2016-02-01 19:59:25 +0200 )edit
4

answered 2016-03-31 22:17:05 +0200

nadir gravatar image

updated 2016-03-31 22:18:00 +0200

Name / IRC nick: nh1402 topic: Splitscreen Multitasking

some details about the topic: Is it still going to be implemented (once Jolla get more man (or female)-power of course) or is it just not going to happen anymore?

approx time needed: 2 minutes (a yes or no answer with an explanation should suffice)

optional: If I'm not there then just answer the question I'll read the log.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
4

answered 2016-04-15 15:24:31 +0200

Venemo gravatar image
  • Name / IRC nick:
    Timur Kristóf / Venemo
  • topic:
    Upgrading Qt to latest upstream
    1) Is it among the plans to upgrade to the latest upstream Qt version?
    2) What are the main roadblocks to upgrading Qt?
    3) How can the community help with this?
  • some details about the topic:
    Currently Sailfish OS uses Qt 5.2.1 which is so old that dealing with it almost feels like doing archeology. I'm interested in using parts of Qt (for example, the Bluetooth Low Energy API) that are available in newer versions. I think everyone would be happy to benefit from the advances in Qt (eg. scene graph and other graphical improvements) that have been developed since the currently used version was released. I also think that since Qt is at the heart of Sailfish OS, it should pride itself on always providing the state-of-the-art latest version.
  • approx time needed:
    maybe 5-10 minutes
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

@Venemo even with an upgrade of Qt, Bluetooth LE won't come: it requires bluez 5 which can't be implemented without new verification process (radio license). So there is no way this Bt profile could be used officially now and in future!

lpr ( 2016-05-02 16:43:01 +0200 )edit
4

answered 2016-05-25 22:13:08 +0200

Toxip gravatar image
  • Name / IRC nick: toxip
  • topic: Requesting things to be added to mer-tools repo
  • details: Noticed that some basic tools like wget are not included in the mer-tools repo. How could we request things to be added to the repository?
  • time: 5 min
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

wget is GLP3.

tortoisedoc ( 2016-05-27 10:50:06 +0200 )edit
4

answered 2016-06-29 21:15:45 +0200

Daeto gravatar image
  • Name / IRC nick: OhDaeto
  • Topic: Update outdated packages
  • Some details about the topic: Sailfish OS (Nemo) contains a lot of outdated and officialy unsupported packages in repos. For example, there is Perl package version 5.16.1 while Cent OS 7 / RHEL supports 5.16.3. So I would like to know how the community can help you to update your packages and projects to latest actual versions, and which parts you think are the most weakest. Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English. Hope you understood what I want to ask :)
  • Approx time needed: 5-10 mins
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

You should edit first post as others have done so we can talk about this tomorrow. :)

tathhu ( 2016-06-29 21:41:25 +0200 )edit
4

answered 2016-12-05 14:07:32 +0200

ElderOrb gravatar image

James, could you please update https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Sailfish/CommunityMeetings with meeting results? I was not able to participate but would like to get an update on some topics discussed. Thank you!

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

today meeting minutes are here: https://lists.sailfishos.org/pipermail/devel/2016-December/007576.html

c.la ( 2016-12-05 16:54:03 +0200 )edit

Wiki updated.

ced117 ( 2017-01-13 20:14:49 +0200 )edit
3

answered 2016-01-14 11:50:58 +0200

cy8aer gravatar image

updated 2016-01-14 11:52:18 +0200

Could someone check if the log at http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-meeting/2016 will work properly this time please?

I know, this is no answer, but IMHO it is important that the log works.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
70 followers

Stats

Asked: 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0200

Seen: 37,749 times

Last updated: Feb 14