Ask / Submit
1

Exchange 2013 authentication fails - "The server is not an ActiveSync server" [answered]

asked 2015-01-26 18:06:22 +0300

Possi gravatar image

updated 2015-01-27 11:46:30 +0300

ActiveSync stopped working after my corporate email server was changed from Exchange 2007 to 2013.

SW version 1.1.1.27

Account creation fails with the error "Problem with checking credentials", but I was able to add the account by closing (not skipping) the wizard and entering the account settings manually.

I enabled the activesync debug log, and a promising connection seems to stop after the first OPTIONS-request (looks successful to me) with a log entry:

[Error] AS_LIB : The server is not an ActiveSync server. Factory not created

Is this a bug or is there something terribly wrong either with my settings or the server?

Also it's been reported that several Jollas stopped syncing at the same time.

edit retag flag offensive reopen delete

The question has been closed for the following reason "the question is answered, an answer was accepted" by saturn
close date 2015-01-28 12:53:42.337301

Comments

1

Seems that you have already answered your own Q in the first sentence of the description.."stopped working after .. server was changed from Exchange 2007 to 2013". It shouldn't be a surprise to any that these proprietary service/tech corps like M$ and Google change their closed service APIs w/o a notice and/or caring to announce to apps or devs or clients that rely on these interfaces or access/protocol conventions. There usually is nothing or no easy way for client sw devs or users to stay in sync with these server-side API-changes, specifically because they are done on purpose to make the lives of non-ecosystem or open-based sw to access/use these proprietary/closed services. It's especially the case with Facebook, Whatsapp, even Twitter and others that they want to keep indepedent and open IT communities (users, devs, sw, platforms, OS:s, etc) outside of their vendor-locked closed ecosystem borders. Ofc workarounds for these API changes can be implemented but at great cost and effort by the communities.

foss4ever ( 2015-01-26 22:33:10 +0300 )edit

Thanks jjaona! Your comment was comforting, yet not very helpful.

Exchange Server Protocol specifications are available here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc307725%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Possi ( 2015-01-27 11:45:53 +0300 )edit

@Possi - In such cases account recreation is necessary since server keys will be totally different. Jolla does support Exchange protocol 14, so should be fine, please let me know if you still have issues.

VDVsx ( 2015-02-07 15:25:14 +0300 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2015-01-28 10:38:08 +0300

Possi gravatar image

Turns out that this issue is not the root cause, it's probably just an implication of playing around with account settings over and over again.

After resetting the device and creating a new account, the behavior changed => I'll submit another question.

"The server is not an ActiveSync server" error is not repeatable, it only appears after trying a number of different server URLs on the same account, some of them being valid https addresses.

Weird enough, even though the debug log shows: [Debug] Network : Transfer 4915080 : OPTIONS https://mail.company.com:443/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync

the returned headers seem to be from other server than the one mentioned after OPTIONS verb. Indeed, that server is not an ActiveSync server. Comparing headers in debug log with cURL retrieved headers verifies this.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

Good news! If you don't mind, I've closed the issue based on your answer. Feel free to re-open if necessary.

saturn ( 2015-01-28 12:55:58 +0300 )edit

Probably some redirects are in place, that would explain the changes of urls.

VDVsx ( 2015-02-07 15:23:25 +0300 )edit

Question tools

Follow
3 followers

Stats

Asked: 2015-01-26 18:06:22 +0300

Seen: 499 times

Last updated: Jan 28 '15