Ask / Submit
3

Several android apps cant find a connection

asked 2015-03-08 01:45:22 +0200

pinvok3 gravatar image

updated 2015-03-08 01:45:50 +0200

After a few months I came across an annoying bug. Several apps like the play store, can't find a connection to the net. Firefox and whatsapp works, but I can't download apps from the play store. It says "Auf Netzwerk warten" / "Waiting for Network". The Denon app which allows me to control my A/V receiver in my local network does not work either.

Ive seen a few people have this issue too. One suggested to change the value of "wifi_on" back to 1 in the database /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

But its on 1 already. Could someone assist?

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

Based on my experiences on Sailfish 1.1.2.16 if you have only enabled the mobile data connection the android apps may tell you that there is no network available even though other applications (even android apps) work properly. The only workaround which I found was to connect to a wifi hotspot and then you could use those applications without problems. At least for me it would work even after stopping using the wifi network until at some point the same happens again. At this point if I connected to a wifi network again I could use those applications again. Please note that I have almost always at least one android application running so that might affect the situation.

JJkola ( 2015-03-17 14:33:05 +0200 )edit

After having used it for more than one year, I don't remember that networking for Android apps ever was reliable (not on Wifi and not on 3G). The lack of diagnostics / settings is really a major issue.

Dietmar ( 2015-05-06 20:52:03 +0200 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
2

answered 2015-04-07 22:19:35 +0200

7gig gravatar image

I have the same problem and found that when using android apps, wifi_on is mostly 1 already while the apps thought there was no connection. Thus turning wifi_on to 1 was really no help!

Through trial and error, I found that toggling the wifi_on value (switching it to 0 mostly) and then restarting dalvik+app works for a while. For this purpose I modified a script from another post dealing with this dalvik issue to feature a toggle mechanism. This is still quite awkward to use but might help someone in a pinch.

#!/bin/bash 
if [[ "$USER" == "nemo" ]]; then   
    devel-su $0   
    exit 
fi

#stop dalvik
systemctl stop  aliendalvik.service

# get wifi_on value
VALUE=$(echo "select value from secure where name = 'wifi_on';" |sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db) 
echo Current setting:  
echo "wifi_on|"$VALUE

# toggle wifi_on value
if [ $VALUE -eq 1 ]; then NVALUE=0; else NVALUE=1; fi 

# update wifi_on value
echo "update secure set value = '$NVALUE' where name = 'wifi_on';" |sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 
echo Updated setting 
echo "select name,value from secure where name = 'wifi_on';" |sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 

# start dalvik
systemctl start aliendalvik.service
edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
2 followers

Stats

Asked: 2015-03-08 01:45:22 +0200

Seen: 351 times

Last updated: Apr 07 '15