Ask / Submit

Revision history [back]

click to hide/show revision 1
initial version

posted 2014-01-09 14:17:22 +0300

Browser favorites favicons loaded again and again

If I open browser favories I get list of my bookmarks. These bookmarks have favicons on the left side on each line. The problem is that these icons are not cached in the bookmarks database but they are loaded each time the bookmarks page is opened. Even if I don't restart the browser it triggers mass download of all favicons. These icons are small but if you have more bookmarks it's quite a lot of HTTP requests and traffic sent from the phone and it could be a problem for mobile connections which are sensitive for data transfers.

Suggestion on how to fix it:

Apart from URL and page title save also the favicon into favorites database. It's just few bytes for each favorite.

Browser favorites favicons loaded again and again

If I open browser favories I get list of my bookmarks. These bookmarks have favicons on the left side on each line. The problem is that these icons are not cached in the bookmarks database but they are loaded each time the bookmarks page is opened. Even if I don't restart the browser it triggers mass download of all favicons. These icons are small but if you have more bookmarks it's quite a lot of HTTP requests and traffic sent from the phone and it could be a problem for mobile connections which are sensitive for data transfers.

Suggestion on how to fix it:

Apart from URL and page title save also the favicon into favorites database. It's just few bytes for each favorite.

Update 09/01/2014 13:33 CET

What also seems to be broken is the user agent of the browser when loading favicons.

For normal requests i see this in my web server log:

x.x.x.x - - [09/Jan/2014:13:04:52 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 688 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Maemo; Linux; U; Jolla; Sailfish; Mobile; rv:26.0) Gecko/26.0 Firefox/26.0 SailfishBrowser/1.0 like Safari/538.1"

But for the favicon.ico requests it's this:

x.x.x.x - - [09/Jan/2014:13:05:49 +0100] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 275 "-" "Mozilla/5.0"

Browser favorites favicons loaded again and again

If I open browser favories I get list of my bookmarks. These bookmarks have favicons on the left side on each line. The problem is that these icons are not cached in the bookmarks database but they are loaded each time the bookmarks page is opened. Even if I don't restart the browser it triggers mass download of all favicons. These icons are small but if you have more bookmarks it's quite a lot of HTTP requests and traffic sent from the phone and it could be a problem for mobile connections which are sensitive for data transfers.

Suggestion on how to fix it:

Apart from URL and page title save also the favicon into favorites database. It's just few bytes for each favorite.

Update 09/01/2014 13:33 CET12:40 UTC

What also seems to be broken is the user agent of the browser when loading favicons.

For normal requests i see this in my web server log:

x.x.x.x - - [09/Jan/2014:13:04:52 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 688 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Maemo; Linux; U; Jolla; Sailfish; Mobile; rv:26.0) Gecko/26.0 Firefox/26.0 SailfishBrowser/1.0 like Safari/538.1"

But for the favicon.ico requests it's this:

x.x.x.x - - [09/Jan/2014:13:05:49 +0100] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 275 "-" "Mozilla/5.0"

Browser favorites favicons loaded again and again

If I open browser favories I get list of my bookmarks. These bookmarks have favicons on the left side on each line. The problem is that these icons are not cached in the bookmarks database but they are loaded each time the bookmarks page is opened. Even if I don't restart the browser it triggers mass download of all favicons. These icons are small but if you have more bookmarks it's quite a lot of HTTP requests and traffic sent from the phone and it could be a problem for mobile connections which are sensitive for data transfers.

Suggestion on how to fix it:

Apart from URL and page title save also the favicon into favorites database. It's just few bytes for each favorite.

Update 09/01/2014 12:40 UTC

What also seems to be broken is the user agent of the browser when loading favicons.

For normal requests i see this in my web server log:

x.x.x.x - - [09/Jan/2014:13:04:52 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 688 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Maemo; Linux; U; Jolla; Sailfish; Mobile; rv:26.0) Gecko/26.0 Firefox/26.0 SailfishBrowser/1.0 like Safari/538.1"

But for the favicon.ico requests it's this:

x.x.x.x - - [09/Jan/2014:13:05:49 +0100] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 275 "-" "Mozilla/5.0"