We have moved to a new Sailfish OS Forum. Please start new discussions there.

Google contact sync

asked 2015-08-09 11:04:34 +0200

nicu gravatar image

Hi all :)

I have my contacts on Google (google.com/contacts) and syncing with my Jolla worked flawless until some weeks~months ago. I didn't really change something and of course checked all the obvious details like sign-in credentials, sync settings, etc.

I currently run the latest Sailfish version ( and other Google services in the same account work as expected (e.g. GMail).

Does someone know of a possibility to debug the sync? Are there any log files or is there something like a debug switch I can pass to the sync utility and trigger it manually?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Kind regards, nicolas

edit retag flag offensive close delete


Hi Nicolas,

To debug this you will need developer-mode enabled. Once you've done that, follow the following steps:

0) make sure that /etc/systemd/journald.conf has RateLimitBurst=3000 and RateLimitInterval=10s otherwise the journal log will be truncated. If you edited this file, you will need to reboot your device for the new logging settings to take effect.

1) ssh into the device and run the following commands:

 systemctl --user stop msyncd
 killall msyncd
 MSYNCD_LOGGING_LEVEL=8 devel-su -p msyncd

2) leave that ssh terminal open, and now open a new ssh terminal to the device, and run:

 devel-su journalctl -af | grep google-contact

3) trigger sync via Settings/Accounts, Long-press Google -> Sync.

The logs in the second (journalctl) terminal should help us in debugging this issue.

Please send the logs (after you redact any personal information) to chris dot adams at jolla dot com and I can investigate your issue further.

Thanks, Chris.

chris.adams ( 2015-08-10 04:37:18 +0200 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-09-25 17:52:19 +0200

nicu gravatar image

I got some really helpful support via mail from Chris but we couldn't solve the issue before the Eineheminlampi update was released. After the Eineheminlampi update (or by some other unknown coincidence) Google contact sync works again w/o problem! :)

I did nothing special (no contacts deleted, no merge of any contacts, etc.) and figured out, that the sync works again after a newly added birthday date (I added it through google.com/contacts) was shown in the calendar on my Jolla :)

So for now I'm perfectly happy again - I'll report back, if the problem occures again.

Thanks again to Chris for his support!

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools



Asked: 2015-08-09 11:04:34 +0200

Seen: 716 times

Last updated: Sep 25 '15