Ask / Submit
167

SailfishOS, open source, collaboration meeting planning

asked 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0300

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2017-07-17 15:22:48 +0300

r0kk3rz gravatar image

Next meeting:Wednesday 26th of July 2017 at 08:00 UTC. The meeting will be held on Freenode IRC, #mer-meeting ( http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#mer-meeting )

Check here for your local time: http://bit.ly/2vbF7pH

Agenda/topics:

  • add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can timebox the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can't make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here on TJC or on the mailing list and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn't clear enough it will be postponed.


  • Name / IRC nick: adamski
  • topic: Jolla Harbour paid apps
  • some details about the topic: What is holding things up regarding paid apps and IAP on Jolla Harbour?
  • approx time needed: 3 mins

Template for topic proposal: (edit this wiki directly to add your topics)

  • Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)

For background info and invitation to this series of meetings, please see this post. Past meeting minutes, list of action points and further information are here

Meeting Chair: (volunteers, suggestions,nominations...)

Responsibilities of meeting chair: send invitation/agenda before the meeting, keep time and order during the meeting, send minutes and next meeting planning info after the meeting.

  • James Noori (Jaymzz)
  • Steph Gosling (stephg)
  • Joshua Strobl (JoshStrobl)
  • Carsten Munk (Stskeeps)
  • Iekku Pylkkä (iekku)
  • Carol Chen (cybette)
  • (your name here)

edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

7

Nice that you decided to move this here from the previous pad - I think TJC will serve well in this purpose also, also good to have many different topics under the same roof. Meetings might get new people too?

simo ( 2014-08-21 23:19:11 +0300 )edit
8

@cybette I wonder about the outcome of the action items 2 and 3 from the September 23th meeting:
> 2. Jolla to possibly spare some engineering time and fix up the proprietary bits to at least not crash and burn on SIP
> 3. cybette to poke SIP/dialer guys in Jolla
Unfortunately SIP is still not usable using the latest Jolla update.

alex25 ( 2014-10-28 08:46:46 +0300 )edit

bump. next meeting 7th Jan ?

kimmoli ( 2015-01-05 23:09:51 +0300 )edit

@kimmoli: yes

sledges ( 2015-01-06 16:49:45 +0300 )edit
4

@kimmoli@sledges thanks for the reminder. Sending email...

cybette ( 2015-01-06 16:54:55 +0300 )edit

38 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
48

answered 2015-05-18 14:21:50 +0300

coderus gravatar image
  • coderus
  • opensourcing and allowing to use jolla qml components
  • there are many cool proprietary qml components made by jolla: CameraExtensions, TextLinking, Email ComposerPage, Gallery ThumbnailImage/Video, Sailfish.Pickers (including allowing to use QtDocGallery), TransferEngine. It's always pain to develop applications using camera/email/gallery(filesystem)/thumbnailing, because every developer should implement own hacks for application and can't use native components. If it's not possible (please tell us why) then it will be great to have these components opensources so developer can compile and bundle it to application.
  • 10 min +/- 5 min, really depends how fast jolla sailors can explain about current situation.
  • any jolla sailor responsible for qml components
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

4

Thanks! added to agenda.

cybette ( 2015-05-18 15:20:01 +0300 )edit
45

answered 2014-08-22 12:10:57 +0300

Nieldk gravatar image

nieldk: I would like to add a discussion on a feasable way to distribute a fastboot flashable base image to restore the phone if a 'brick' (or soft-brick if you prefer). Fx. Can we create a basic bootable image, withouth the binary blobs from Qualcom etc, that are not redistributable, to enable the phone to boot, or, provide some tool so that the user can generate a flashable image (fastboot) which can be restored. I have had the situation, with a dead battery, leaving the phone unable to charge and only able to enter fastboot. The phone was only again bootable because I had purchased an external charger, the phone would never charge enough with USB wall charger because of boot-loop.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

1

And if there are blobs without which device is "not really usable" maybe there would be enough mode to do OTA update after flashing? Basically it would boot to minimum to re-reflash OTA, so you distribute 3rd party parts exactly as with update

ZogG ( 2014-08-22 13:43:15 +0300 )edit
1

@Nieldk don't forget to introduce the topic with what have been done (sailfish-snapshot), what is needed (something to extract qualcomm drivers ? redistribuable parts ? fastboot image maker ?) from Jolla side and from community side.

Sfiet_Konstantin ( 2014-08-22 19:24:06 +0300 )edit
1

@Nieldk discussion proposal added. btw you can edit the wiki directly too :)

cybette ( 2014-08-26 08:40:34 +0300 )edit
16

answered 2015-09-11 16:36:57 +0300

bobsummerwill gravatar image

Name / IRC nick : bobsummerwill

topic: Request more information on Roadmap for open-sourcing more of Sailfish.

some details about the topic: It has been mentioned on several occasions that there is a plan with regard to further open-sourcing of components within Sailfish. It would be great to have some more public information on that. In particular, the status of Silica is a constant 'sore point'. With the company split and the move towards licensing of Sailfish 2.0, perhaps there is an opportunity to restore some lost faith in Jolla with regard to licensing.

approx time needed: 20 mins

optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

1

thanks @bobsummerwill, added to agenda above. will send email to devel list shortly.

cybette ( 2015-09-30 13:42:48 +0300 )edit
1

Just a reminder that this wasn't discussed after all last time, because Carsten Munk was the best person to answer, but was travelling at the time. Please can we be sure to add this to the November meeting? Thanks!

bobsummerwill ( 2015-10-22 00:13:15 +0300 )edit
1

Yep, part of the reason for schedule change is to make sure we have Carsten/someone to prepare some info for this topic at the next meeting. Thanks!

cybette ( 2015-10-22 13:32:41 +0300 )edit
1

Great - thanks!

bobsummerwill ( 2015-10-22 20:44:48 +0300 )edit
1

Just a reminder, @cybette, as per my reply to the mailing list that I likely will NOT be able to attend this Thursday's meeting in person, because it is at 6.30am in my timezone. I will try, but cannot promise. I am not needed. Please proceed without me. The question is on file and can be answered without me being there.

bobsummerwill ( 2015-11-17 23:02:14 +0300 )edit
12

answered 2015-11-19 19:09:59 +0300

bobsummerwill gravatar image

Name / IRC nick : bobsummerwill topic: Explore options to decentralize Jolla, SailfishOS and Mer essential infrastructure - repositories, web-sites, automated build infrastructure, together.jolla.com, etc. Having any single individual or company solely responsible for such foundational infrastructure is a risk in any situation, let alone in the current situation. Backups are always good. Simplest case we would look to "copy". Better would be an ongoing multi-site "mirror". Best would be something truly decentralized based on IPFS as a long-term aim. approx time needed: 15 mins optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

3

Thanks! Added to agenda.

cybette ( 2015-11-20 02:44:36 +0300 )edit
9

answered 2014-08-22 10:32:39 +0300

I would like to request to move those to later hours or/and preferably to weekends, as for most sailors it is part of their job/approved by bosses, I and, I think, most people also work at those hours and not at every job it would be acceptable to open IRC and even if so it would be irresponsible for me to concentrate on chat instead of work.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

1

You can always propose your topics in enough detail on the piratepad if there is some point you want to raise. Of course it would be nice if you could attend but at least you can make yourself heard if you put something on the piratepad.

Philippe De Swert ( 2014-08-22 12:34:22 +0300 )edit
3

Than there is no point at meetings at all, ah? As i wrote my concerns around internet already and I know few sailors saw them, in other words, RTC is different experience when you can "discuss".

ZogG ( 2014-08-22 13:39:16 +0300 )edit
1

You misunderstood my point. If for some reason you cannot unfortunately attend then there is still an option to get heard. And afaik the meetings are outside of working hours nowadays (starting at 15h UTC)

Philippe De Swert ( 2014-08-22 13:41:30 +0300 )edit
1

If you cannot attend an IRC meeting open a topic here in TJC. Most people there are also around here. There are more than one communication channels.

ApB ( 2014-08-22 13:50:35 +0300 )edit
3

@ZogG we alternate the meetings between 15UTC and 10UTC to try to accommodate participants from different time zones, from Australia to the Americas. You are welcome to propose a different time for a specific meeting if you have an agenda topic for the meeting!

cybette ( 2014-08-25 10:45:39 +0300 )edit
8

answered 2015-06-17 00:49:27 +0300

ljo gravatar image

Please please make these one q per meeting in the same way we sailors are supposed to make qs per merged release. It is very hard to follow these answers on jolla in the chronological order which is the current default from what i can tell.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

3

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!! +10 This whole thread is a mess. I never know which topics are new and which are old without carefuly reading through the whole thing!

shfit ( 2015-06-17 12:32:24 +0300 )edit
7

answered 2014-10-03 13:59:12 +0300

Nokius gravatar image

Name / IRC nick: Nokius topic:How about a SailfishOS stand at FOSDAM15 ? (by community) What about the Idea? Who is in? some details about the topic: Till 20 November deadline for stands. More https://fosdem.org/2015/news/2014-09-19-call-for-participation-part-two/ --> Stands approx time needed: optional: Hope all went well this day and I will join on time :)

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

7

Fosdem is about Free Software and Open Source. As you can see in this table https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/SailfishOSS the Sailfishy parts of SailfishOS are neither. So while a Mer stand might make sense. A SailfishOS stand wouldn't.

torpak ( 2014-12-25 12:34:02 +0300 )edit
6

answered 2014-10-21 08:43:21 +0300

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2014-10-21 08:57:55 +0300

cybette gravatar image

No topic proposals received for meeting scheduled for Oct 21. Let's vote for next meeting times (please vote on the comments following this "answer"). You can also add a comment with a new time and get people to vote on it.

And please propose topics by editing the wiki above!

(You can vote on more than one, so please vote for all the times that suit you)

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

4

Thursday Oct 30 @ 10:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:46:28 +0300 )edit
2

Thursday Oct 30 @ 15:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:46:38 +0300 )edit
1

Tuesday Nov 4 @ 10:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:47:03 +0300 )edit
5

Tuesday Nov 4 @ 15:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:52:26 +0300 )edit
6

answered 2015-12-09 15:21:03 +0300

c.la gravatar image

updated 2015-12-09 16:05:37 +0300

Sorry for short notice, I managed to get some time off work to be able to join the meeting.

Below my proposed topics:


  • Name / IRC nick: c-la
  • topic: Bluetooth tethering re-introduction
  • some details about the topic: With 1.1.7 update bluetooth tethering got disabled, probably by mistake by an undetected regression. Discussion about the effort needed to restore it in next SFOS release. TJC topics: here and here
  • approx time needed: max. 10minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting

  • Name / IRC nick: c-la
  • topic: inclusion of Bluetooth LE libraries
  • some details about the topic: the needed libraries useful to use BTLE (QtBluetooth 5.4) have been backported to jolla kernel few months ago, some harbour apps have them included in their app. Discussion about the possibility to have them included in SFOS. BTLE support is necessary to use some new wearables and headphones with Jolla. TJC topics: here and here
  • approx time needed: max. 10minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting

  • Name / IRC nick: c-la
  • topic: email client bug when opening a draft no text
  • some details about the topic: there is a longtime bug in the email client: when opening a draft the email has no text (body) even if there is text. The first words of the body are shown in the email preview when viewing drafts folder, but the text of the body is not copied in the email. This makes editing and sending an email "on the fly" impossible on jolla. Estimation about time needed to fix it and its inclusion in future SFOS release. TJC discussion
  • approx time needed: 10 minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting
edit flag offensive delete publish link more
5

answered 2015-01-19 18:49:37 +0300

netvandal gravatar image

Talking about map component could be also interesting, infos it's scattered, confusing and sometime frustrating. summarizing available option, talk about timeline for official API could be useful. But I'm not sure if can be fit in the community meeting, anyway, i propose...

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
78 followers

Stats

Asked: 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0300

Seen: 46,526 times

Last updated: Jul 17