Ask / Submit
192

SailfishOS, open source, collaboration meeting planning

asked 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0300

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2018-08-13 13:46:09 +0300

Raymaen gravatar image

Next meeting:Thursday 23th of August 2018 at 08:00 UTC. The meeting will be held on Freenode IRC, #mer-meeting ( http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#mer-meeting )

Check here for your local time: https://bit.ly/2MedEQ7

Logs of previous meetings: http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-meeting/

Agenda/topics:


  • add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can timebox the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can't make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here on TJC or on the mailing list and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn't clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for *more time than you anticipate your topics needs!!*


Template for topic proposal: (edit this wiki directly to add your topics)

  • Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute!)


For background info and invitation to this series of meetings, please see this post. Past meeting minutes, list of action points and further information are here, more recent minutes are here

Meeting Chair: (volunteers, suggestions,nominations...)

Responsibilities of meeting chair: send invitation/agenda before the meeting, keep time and order during the meeting, send minutes and next meeting planning info after the meeting.

  • James Noori (Jaymzz)
  • Simonas Leleiva (Sledges)
  • Steph Gosling (stephg)
  • Carol Chen (cybette)
  • (your name here)

  • Name / IRC nick: David Llewellyn-Jones / flypig
  • topic: Community contributions to non open-source components
  • some details about the topic: There are a number of oustanding features and bug-fixes that community members have requested in some of the closed-source SFOS components. The message from Jolla is that they are often too busy to focus on them as revenue-generating work must take priority. However, Jolla apparently have an NDA that would allow community contributors to access internal repositories to help submit code and fixes. The topic is a request for Jolla representatives to give some more info about how this works, and for the community to suggest areas for contributions and how the scheme could be made more visible to others.
  • approx time needed: 15 mins
  • optional: if I'm absent, feel free to discuss, or move it to the next meeting as you prefer.

  • Name / IRC nick: Raymaen
  • topic: general problems with roaming on Sailfish OS
  • some details about the topic: There are a lot of questions about this topic on TJC. https://together.jolla.com/question/177397/xperia-x-roaming-does-not-show-local-operator-and-does-not-show-connection/ this question is tracked by Jolla, but since the tracking there have been 2 updates without patching this issue. In my opinion it is a huge problem that needs to be fixed as fast as possible, as it is something that makes Sailfish phones unusable as daily driver. What is the problem and why is it stil present? What can we as comunity do to help solve it? Shouldn't such critical bugs being patched as fast as there is a solution, no matter if it fits the update schedule?
  • approx time needed: 20 - 30 mins (depends on discussion)
  • optional: if I'm absent, feel free to discuss, I'm not that techsavy to understand everything, but i think the problem is clear described in the TJC question.
edit retag flag offensive close delete

Comments

7

Nice that you decided to move this here from the previous pad - I think TJC will serve well in this purpose also, also good to have many different topics under the same roof. Meetings might get new people too?

simo ( 2014-08-21 23:19:11 +0300 )edit
8

@cybette I wonder about the outcome of the action items 2 and 3 from the September 23th meeting:
> 2. Jolla to possibly spare some engineering time and fix up the proprietary bits to at least not crash and burn on SIP
> 3. cybette to poke SIP/dialer guys in Jolla
Unfortunately SIP is still not usable using the latest Jolla update.

alex25 ( 2014-10-28 08:46:46 +0300 )edit

bump. next meeting 7th Jan ?

kimmoli ( 2015-01-05 23:09:51 +0300 )edit

@kimmoli: yes

sledges ( 2015-01-06 16:49:45 +0300 )edit
4

@kimmoli@sledges thanks for the reminder. Sending email...

cybette ( 2015-01-06 16:54:55 +0300 )edit

44 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
7

answered 2015-12-09 15:21:03 +0300

c.la gravatar image

updated 2015-12-09 16:05:37 +0300

Sorry for short notice, I managed to get some time off work to be able to join the meeting.

Below my proposed topics:


  • Name / IRC nick: c-la
  • topic: Bluetooth tethering re-introduction
  • some details about the topic: With 1.1.7 update bluetooth tethering got disabled, probably by mistake by an undetected regression. Discussion about the effort needed to restore it in next SFOS release. TJC topics: here and here
  • approx time needed: max. 10minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting

  • Name / IRC nick: c-la
  • topic: inclusion of Bluetooth LE libraries
  • some details about the topic: the needed libraries useful to use BTLE (QtBluetooth 5.4) have been backported to jolla kernel few months ago, some harbour apps have them included in their app. Discussion about the possibility to have them included in SFOS. BTLE support is necessary to use some new wearables and headphones with Jolla. TJC topics: here and here
  • approx time needed: max. 10minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting

  • Name / IRC nick: c-la
  • topic: email client bug when opening a draft no text
  • some details about the topic: there is a longtime bug in the email client: when opening a draft the email has no text (body) even if there is text. The first words of the body are shown in the email preview when viewing drafts folder, but the text of the body is not copied in the email. This makes editing and sending an email "on the fly" impossible on jolla. Estimation about time needed to fix it and its inclusion in future SFOS release. TJC discussion
  • approx time needed: 10 minutes
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

I was very surprised to didn't see you in the Wanha Satama Helsingin PC Connects last week, one of nordics great fair of mobile programmers and developers. A lot of mobile games firms (Rovio, Nitro Games as sponsors) :D

Another new that may interest Jolla for cooperation opportunity is the new phone Librem5, open source from Purism...

link: https://itsfoss.com/librem-5-gnome-kde/

PC75 ( 2017-09-23 14:01:36 +0300 )edit
7

answered 2016-12-04 19:32:21 +0300

RodSeq gravatar image

updated 2016-12-05 13:25:08 +0300

  • Name / IRC nick : RodSeq
  • Topic : Google Play services
  • Some details about the topic : the Gplay services app is not well integrated in the OS yet. Would it be possible to have a stable "frozen" Gplay services app on the Jolla Store to be downloaded like other Android apps ? There is already a great solution developped on OpenRepos (https://openrepos.net/content/coderus/opengapps-pico-installer#comment-16413) that would really help simplifying the Saiflish user experience for basic users while to my view respecting all the necessary Gplay services permissions
  • approx time needed : 15mn
edit flag offensive delete publish link more
7

answered 2017-01-09 08:29:39 +0300

Name / IRC nick: Mohit / anekantxx topic: VoLTE support in Sailfish/Aqua Fish some details about the topic: Without VoLTE, during calls, network gets switched to 2G mode from LTE/4G which causes 1. loss of data/internet 2. poor network quality due to fluctuation 3. calls are ended a good 5-10 seconds after tapping the "end call". Some networks in India (e.g. JIO) use VoLTE exclusively and other leading operators are also planning to do the same in near future. approx time needed: 5min

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
7

answered 2017-07-17 00:43:35 +0300

adamski gravatar image

updated 2017-07-17 00:44:17 +0300

Name / IRC nick: adamski

topic: Jolla Harbour paid apps

some details about the topic: What is holding things up regarding paid apps and IAP on Jolla Harbour?

approx time needed: 3 mins

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

Edit first post and add your topic there

atlochowski ( 2017-07-17 09:38:30 +0300 )edit
2

OK, I see, however I am a new user on here and don't have enough karma points to edit wiki posts. Thanks

adamski ( 2017-07-17 12:16:14 +0300 )edit
1

@adamski I've added that for you, welcome :)

r0kk3rz ( 2017-07-17 15:24:36 +0300 )edit
6

answered 2014-10-21 08:43:21 +0300

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2014-10-21 08:57:55 +0300

cybette gravatar image

No topic proposals received for meeting scheduled for Oct 21. Let's vote for next meeting times (please vote on the comments following this "answer"). You can also add a comment with a new time and get people to vote on it.

And please propose topics by editing the wiki above!

(You can vote on more than one, so please vote for all the times that suit you)

edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

4

Thursday Oct 30 @ 10:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:46:28 +0300 )edit
2

Thursday Oct 30 @ 15:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:46:38 +0300 )edit
1

Tuesday Nov 4 @ 10:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:47:03 +0300 )edit
5

Tuesday Nov 4 @ 15:00 UTC

cybette ( 2014-10-21 08:52:26 +0300 )edit
6

answered 2016-04-07 10:22:22 +0300

247 gravatar image

Name / IRC nick: luca247

topic: when daemon and others forbidden components will be permitted in the store

some details about the topic: we have some great apps in openrepos like sailorgram (a telegram client) or webpirate (a native browser) that cannot make into the store becase daemons or other components are forbidden on the harbour...i understand you want a safe store but this way we will never grow up...openrepos is updating apps sometimes even with a rythm of 2/3 per day...the jolla store have a rythm of 1 every 2 or 3 weeks...this is simply ridicolous...even microsoft doesn't have such rigid rules and the store is the most clean...we know our developers and we know they are not harming the system and after thissometime ago we were talking about users that could test applications before release to help jolla...any news on that?

approx time needed: 5 minutes

optional: just answer if i'm not there i will read the logs

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
6

answered 2016-04-15 15:24:31 +0300

Venemo gravatar image
  • Name / IRC nick:
    Timur Kristóf / Venemo
  • topic:
    Upgrading Qt to latest upstream
    1) Is it among the plans to upgrade to the latest upstream Qt version?
    2) What are the main roadblocks to upgrading Qt?
    3) How can the community help with this?
  • some details about the topic:
    Currently Sailfish OS uses Qt 5.2.1 which is so old that dealing with it almost feels like doing archeology. I'm interested in using parts of Qt (for example, the Bluetooth Low Energy API) that are available in newer versions. I think everyone would be happy to benefit from the advances in Qt (eg. scene graph and other graphical improvements) that have been developed since the currently used version was released. I also think that since Qt is at the heart of Sailfish OS, it should pride itself on always providing the state-of-the-art latest version.
  • approx time needed:
    maybe 5-10 minutes
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

@Venemo even with an upgrade of Qt, Bluetooth LE won't come: it requires bluez 5 which can't be implemented without new verification process (radio license). So there is no way this Bt profile could be used officially now and in future!

lpr ( 2016-05-02 16:43:01 +0300 )edit
6

answered 2017-02-14 12:33:18 +0300

  • Name / IRC nick: locusf

  • Topic: Nemo Mobile as community distribution for SailfishOS

  • Details about the topic

After giving this some thought, about what was discussed at the previous Jolla community meeting at FOSDEM, I've come up with an idea on how Nemo Mobile can make use of the open source efforts of Jolla. It would be quite useful to have mer feeding off of Fedora packages with the newest versions of stuff and co-maintaining the middleware update effort with Fedora community.

But about how Fedora and Red Hat are related, I'd like to propose an extension to Oleg's idea which relates to this, so that Nemo Mobile could be to Sailfish OS what Fedora is to Red Hat. I know its an old idea I once before proposed. but now that the open source effort from SailfishOS is apparently closing in, it would make sense to have Nemo not (necessarily) with its open UX for Glacier but rather as a community based bleeding edge testing environment for SailfishOS. Which is (at least how I have understood it) like what Fedora is doing with Red Hat distribution.

  • approx time needed: 1 hour

  • optional: nemomobile contributors

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
5

answered 2016-03-24 13:20:44 +0300

this post is marked as community wiki

This post is a wiki. Anyone with karma >75 is welcome to improve it.

updated 2016-03-24 13:21:42 +0300

RussH gravatar image
  • Name / IRC nick: russh
  • topic: whitelabel Jolla tablets

    • i.e. why doesn't Jolla encourage 'chinese factory' to build more Tablets (and act as reseller in Europa). Jolla can give them a SailfishOS version without license protected Software (like Alien Dalvik and Here). Benefits of this include - more developers will make native apps for SailfishOS (to fill the Jolla and openprepo app store). Builds the developer base, popularises SailfishOS and benefits everyone!

    • approx time needed: 5 minutes

    • optional: TBC
edit flag offensive delete publish link more

Comments

@RussH: you have to edit the meeting agenda with your information and topic details in wiki 'question' above - like @ApB did - if you actually want it to be covered during a meeting.

mkld ( 2016-03-26 17:16:44 +0300 )edit
5

answered 2016-03-31 22:17:05 +0300

nadir gravatar image

updated 2016-03-31 22:18:00 +0300

Name / IRC nick: nh1402 topic: Splitscreen Multitasking

some details about the topic: Is it still going to be implemented (once Jolla get more man (or female)-power of course) or is it just not going to happen anymore?

approx time needed: 2 minutes (a yes or no answer with an explanation should suffice)

optional: If I'm not there then just answer the question I'll read the log.

edit flag offensive delete publish link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question tools

Follow
85 followers

Stats

Asked: 2014-08-21 22:22:21 +0300

Seen: 63,973 times

Last updated: 2 days ago